What's up with this stupid AutoCAD interface?

What's up with this stupid AutoCAD interface?

Postby Adriana » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:12 pm

I just downloaded a free version of AutoCAD, it has all kind of menus that I don't understand. Any ideas how to simplify these menus to get started and make sense of these?
Adriana

Re: What's up with this stupid AutoCAD interface?

Postby Peter G » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:32 pm

You are going to encounter all kind of tool bars when you get started with AutoCAD. You can get rid of the unwanted tool bars by simply clicking on the close (x) button on the top right corner of each tool bar. You can bring the tool bars back if you need then later by simply typing the toolbars command on the keyboard. As you get into AutoCAD a bit deeper, you are going to realize, which functions are more useful to you and then you can customize the AutoCAD interface for your specific use. The following are some good links on youtube to watch the interface videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Sj6e8czmU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JbXqesOUyM
Peter G

Postby Jennifer S » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:40 pm

...just want to add that don't forget to save your interface after you are all done with customization. It is called 'profile' and you can create different profiles for yourself that can use later on. For example, you can create a profile for 3D, rendering, 2D drafting etc. I remember, once tech support guy changed my interface, while trying to help me with an issue. My old interface was gone, and it took me a while to customize it the way I had it. Mistake: I had not saved my profile.
Jennifer S

Postby Nichole » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:30 pm

I was quite intimidated when they introduced the ribbon interface a few years back. I hated it and still hate it, but not choice, had to adopt it. What was helpful was to switch to the 'classic' interface that looked like more or less like the previous versions of AutoCAD. This option is located at the bottom right corner of the screen. The keyboard shortcuts are also a savior to deal with the ribbon interface.
Nichole

Return to Getting started with AutoCAD